Public liability insurance covers the cost of claims made by members of the public for incidents that occur in connection with your business activities. Public liability insurance covers the cost of compensation for:
- personal injuries
- loss of or damage to property
Public liability insurance covers anyone, apart from employees, with whom you interact as part of your business operations such as:
- people visiting your business
- people taking part in events or activities you have organised
- people watching events or activities you have organised
Public liability insurance does not cover employees, temporary staff, students or people on work placements – for this you need Employer’s Liability insurance.
Product liability insurance covers the cost of compensating anyone who is injured by a faulty product that your business designs, manufactures or supplies.
You should consider product liability insurance if your business designs, manufactures or supplies a physical product that is sold or given away for free.
Your business may be held legally responsible for any injuries to people or damage to property caused by a faulty product.
You can be held liable for faulty products even if you did not manufacture them. You may be liable for compensation if:
- your business’s name is on the product
- your business repairs, refurbishes or changes a product
- you imported the product from outside the European Union
- you cannot identify the product’s manufacturer, or the manufacturer has gone out of business
What it covers:
Product liability insurance protects you against the cost of compensation for:
- personal injuries caused by your faulty product
- loss of or damage to property caused by your faulty product
- unforseeable circumstances such as product faults that your quality control system could not identify
Product liability insurance may not cover you for:
- faulty products resulting from bad workmanship
- financial losses to a business or person caused by your faulty product
Please contact email@example.com for any further information.